Breast Augmentation (Breast implants)
- Enhance the size of breasts using silicone or saline (water) implants.
- 1 to 2 hours.
- Local with sedation, or general.
- In/ Outpatient
- Usually outpatient.
- Side Effects
- Temporary soreness, swelling, change in nipple sensation, bruising. Breast sensitive to stimulation for a few weeks.
- Formation of scar tissue around the implant (capsular contracture), which may cause the breast to feel tight or hard; bleeding or infection. Increase or decrease in sensitivity of nipples or breast skin, occasionally permanent. Movement of implants, rupture of the implant shell, being able to see or feel the implant. Pronounced scarring. Mammagraphy requires a special technique.
- Back to work: 3-7 days. Physical contact with breasts: 3 to 4 weeks. Fading of scars: several months to a year or more.
- The majority of women with implants never require further surgery.
Doctors performing this procedure: Breast Augmentation (Breast implants) in Australia
Doctors performing this procedure: Breast Augmentation (Breast implants) outside of Australia