- Change the basic shape and balance of the face using carefully shaped implants to build up a receding chin, add prominence to cheekbones, or reshape the jawline.
- 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Local with sedation, or general.
- In/ Outpatient
- Usually outpatient. Occasionally overnight hospital stay.
- Side Effects
- Temporary discomfort, swelling, bruising, numbness and/or stiffness. Muscles of the face may not work normally for several months. In jaw surgery, inability to open mouth fully for several weeks.
- Shifting or imprecise positioning of implant, or infection around it, requiring a second operation or removal. Excess tightening and hardening of scar tissue around an artificial implant, causing an unnatural shape.
- Back to work: about 1 week. Normal appearance: 2 - 4 weeks. Activity that could jar or bump face: 6 weeks or more.
Doctors performing this procedure: Facial Implants in Australia
Doctors performing this procedure: Facial Implants outside of Australia